Blog

The History of Hahne & Co

History of Hahne & Co.

New is great, but revitalized is better. History meet the future at Hahne & Co.

The Hahne & Company building is getting a new life 159 years after it opened its doors as Newark, NJ’s first department store.

Along with our Bozzuto managed apartments, this new life includes new retail and shopping in the same space that brought customers flooding in for many years before.

The bones of this property were first erected in 1901 on 23 acres, four-stories high, and was made up of 7,000 tons of steel, 6 million bricks, and two acres of plate glass windows.

The mastermind architect behind the project was Goldwin Starrett, and the finished product was a luxurious, high-end department store, unlike anything at the time.

Today, that same luxury and uniqueness is taking over the same space that once was home to a buzzing shopping mecca.

Newark, NJ will once again be home to a thriving, meeting place to live, shop, gather and enjoy as a community.

We are proud to be a small part of this history, legacy and revitalization, and hope you will join us by moving into Hahne & Co. To schedule a tour, give us a call at 888-435-1839.